Wednesday, April 1, 2015


The MGM Grand Fire of 1980

 
The MGM Grand today, with a sign promoting Las Vegas as “The City of Entertainment”
 Ted’s “Fish and Chips” column for this month comes from 1976 and mentions the MGM Grand hotel in Las Vegas. As I was typing the column, I remembered the fire that occurred at that hotel in 1980. Now this may not be a story that is related very much to “Beyond the South End,” but as we all know, the business of Las Vegas is to separate as much money from you as possible; so consider this an April Fool’s story then if you like. After all, as the old saw goes, “A fool and his money are soon parted.” I suspect some of you New Englanders have visited Las Vegas, including members of my own family. Therefore, you can also look at this story as an impending vacation lure. Don’t forget to check out the amazing YouTube video of the fire also, which I have included at the end of this piece.
A few facts about the MGM Grand
Let’s look at a few statistics of this grand old hotel. It was built in 1973, just three years before Ted’s friend visited the place. A mere three years from that, in 1980, the fire occurred. The hotel has 2,100 rooms and 376 suites. Those numbers come from Ted’s story and may have changed since 1976.
As far as the fire goes, don’t be afraid to visit Las Vegas. Many of the safety measures of today did not exist then as the video will show. 9/11 and other bad fires, including the MGM, served to help change safety measures for hotel visitors.
Fire Statistics
At the MGM fire, 85 people died and 700 were injured. As the video will mention, most of the hotel had no sprinklers. There was also no warning system in place. No one even went knocking on doors to alert visitors.
The 14th Street Fire in Atlanta
I must mention another fire here which I was an actual witness to.
I was working at the Jewish Community Center on Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta. I think it was in the 90s.
We looked out the window of my office which faced Peachtree Street and saw smoke coming from the 14th Street building which sat directly across from our building. Not long after that the fire department arrived along with every emergency vehicle in Atlanta I believe. The street was choked with vehicles and equipment as we watched the drama unfold.
We watched the hook and ladder truck extend their ladders up to the tenth floor, as far as they would go. Some people inside had broken out some of the windows. I watched one woman come down the ladder with a fireman. She had a death grip on her purse. Must have been something really important in that purse I thought at the time.
I believe one woman died because she jumped from about the 5th floor. I believe that building is approximately 15 or so stories high. Another woman jumped and broke every bone in her body. I didn’t see either of these people jump as they were on the other side of the building.
I don’t remember what started the fire, but guess what? Whenever I stay in a high-rise hotel, I refuse to stay in a room above the 10th floor. To be truthful, I don’t like heights very much and much prefer the charming inns of New England to mammoth hotels.
So that’s my April Fools’ story for this year. Be careful out there today. Here’s the video.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment