Wednesday, April 1, 2015


Sonny’s Sunshine Corner
 
Our Sonny in his later years.
 
 
So Nanci and I leave the 8th for Savannah. Hotel reservations have been made…check. Tour arrangements for me while she’s doing her thing on the 9th done…check. Tour ticket bought online…check. My tour will stop at several historical places in Savannah including the Juliet Lowe house. I won’t be able to tour the Girl Scout founder’s house, however, because you have to make reservations way in advance. On the evening of the 8th Nanci and I will dine at Lady and Sons, Paula Deen’s restaurant. I’m looking forward to some fried green tomatoes and some shrimp right out of the Savannah River. Yum.
Readership of the blog to date is 64,000 plus. The last four stories on the Village Soup site saw 848 views. Thanks, everyone. The most popular March story was “Maine Expressions…Mainespeak.”
Blogs this month include Ted’s Fish and Chips, Thomaston Library News, and a special story for recipe of the month and recipes to go along with it. Check the blog for that surprise. I also have already written a side bar story to go with Ted’s column, “The MGM Grand Fire of 1980.” You’ll have to read Ted’s column first to understand why I chose to write the side bar.
Kudos
Special kudos this month go to Lyman Pope of the home town area who has contributed $1 million to the Pope Memorial Humane Society of Knox County. I understand they plan to use the money to expand the facilities. I’m sure our lost and “waiting for a forever home” friends will really appreciate it.
Update on the Maine Report
Remember the special blog I do after I return home every summer called, “The Maine Report” in which I assess the state of the old home town through my eyes? Well in the past I have mentioned that the city didn’t have any podiatrists. Guess what, there is now a practice which includes more than one of those very necessary doctors, especially to the elderly. And then…I was reading the paper a while ago and saw where US Cellular is upgrading its system to include, I believe, more cell phone towers. It was one of my main gripes one summer. So…do you think someone up there is really listening to me?
Communications
It was nice to hear from Karl Henrikson. He is the men’s basketball coach at the University of Southern Maine and the son of Lars Henrikson, former deputy warden at the old Thomaston Maine State Prison. Karl said he had read my story on “James Lewisohn, the Prisoner Poet.” He appreciated the information in the story about James as he is working on a manuscript of his own about his growing up on the grounds of the prison.
Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors says goodbye
I have just finished reading the latest edition of Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors and noted that Peter Bass, who wrote “From the Front Porch” has left the magazine for “warmer waters.” I’ll miss reading his work in the magazine. Good luck, Peter, in your future endeavors. Look for a review of this edition in the blog this month.
Recommendation
I received a great feed from Facebook this month called, “26 of Maine’s most beautiful places to see.” I cannot bring it to you here because it would take too much room and I don’t want to infringe on any copyrights. It was done by Karen Beaudoin, Portland Press Herald web editor. I highly recommend it. You can find it at: http://mainetoday.com.
That’s it from Sonny’s Corner, now Butchie’s Corner, if he sees fit. He says, “Let me out, I have birds to pester.”
Bye till next time.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment