Monday, October 20, 2014


Fall Quotes


Photo by Sara Tavares


Sister Sara Tavares posted these quotes from BookBud Bulletin recently. Enjoy. Also see a special tip to preserving your fall leaves below.

 

Delicious autumn!

My soul is wedded to it,

And if I were a bird I’d fly.

About the earth

Seeking the successive autumns.

George Eliot

 

Every leaf speaks

Bliss to me.

Fluttering

From the Autumn tree.

Emily Bronte, “Fall Leaves, Fall”

 

Everyone must take

Time to sit still

&

Watch the leaves turn.

Elizabeth Lawrence

 

Autumn is the

 mellower season,

& what we lose in flowers

We more than

 Gain In fruits.

Samuel Butler

 

“Aprils have never

 meant much to me,

Autumns seem that

Season of beginning,

Spring.”

Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffanys

 

Fall colors are funny.

They’re so bright and intense and

Beautiful. It’s like nature is trying to

Fill you up with color, to saturate you

So you can stockpile it before winter

Turns everything muted and dirty.

Siobhan Vivian, “Same Difference”

 

Autumn,

 the year’s last loveliest smile.

William Cullen Bryant

 

I would rather sit on a pumpkin,

And have it all to myself,

Than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

Henry David Thoreau

 

Preserving your leaves


My mother had a trick she used to preserve the color in fall foliage leaves, and I have since seen this technique suggested in old folk formula books. It really works, and the leaves stay on the branches and keep their color for weeks. I’m happy to share this tip, and use it myself. Here is her secret:

All you need is a little bit of vegetable glycerin, water, and newly cut branches with colorful leaves. Just put about 1/2 a teaspoon into a vase full of water, stir, and then add the branches. With this, the leaves stay on the branches and keep their color for weeks. Refresh the water and glycerin every week. Pure vegetable glycerin is available in health food stores.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment