Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Sonny’s Sunshine Corner
My birthday month is now over and we continue on into the April spring here in Georgia. Pollen season has begun. Oh joy. I love seeing the dogwood come out, but oh boy, I pay for it later.
Butchie is happy to be out doors on his playpen porch as we call it enjoying the spring sun. We put some bird screen up so he can’t get out through the spokes so now it serves as his own special playpen. He loves it.
Readership is now up to 43,000+. Thanks, everyone. I’m only counting the blog specs here. It also gets many more reads on the Village Soup site and on Google. So the statistics are really higher.
This month I will finish my study of Beatlemania with “The End of the Road—Abbey Road.”
The usual columns for Ted and Kendall will appear as well as the monthly recipe and Thomaston Library News.
I just received my issue of the Spring issue of Maine Boats, Homes and Harbors, one of my very favorite mags. I may not understand all the technical jargon about the boats, but there is plenty more to enjoy in each issue.
This issue I noticed an article that was a sidebar to a story about Dyon, a family sailing yacht. “Dyon: Partnership led to great design,” by our friend Maynard Bray, who as a South End youngster, used to run around the neighborhood with my brothers. He is now a well-known writer concerning wooden boats, having published many books on the subject as well as written many articles. He is also co-founder of OffCenterHarbor.com.
I also enjoy looking at whatever house they feature each time. This issue has “Small House, Big View,” by Bruce D. Snider, with photos by Brian Vanden Brink. What a beautiful house they reported on in Falmouth situated with a view of the harbor.
There was also an interesting article about “The Hidden Life of Seaweed,” about the influence of the Rockland plant on the food industry in the country.
Of course I always enjoy reading “View From the Porch,” by Peter Bass; and “Awanadjo Almanack,” by Rob McCall.
Pick up your copy today. I bet you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.
I see my Facbook Friend, Laurel, is back playing Roller Derby. I hope to see one of their games when I am up in Maine this summer. They are so much fun to watch.
I received comments from my loyal reader, Bill Pease, who commented on my St. Patrick’s Day story, “I’m Looking Over a Four-Leaf Clover.” I also heard from Helen Plourd, who was ahead of me in school concerning the basketball story, “Filling out the Brackets.” She commented on the lack of Title 9 when we were in high school and how the lack of it impacted women’s sports teams.
It looks like a busy month ahead. I look forward to hearing from all of you. Any comments you have can be added to the end of any story. Once I have approved it, it will appear as that’s the way the format works. Send comments to southendstories@aol.com also if you wish. Any comments you add to the Village Soup site are usually copied and pasted onto the blog space also.
Until next time, Butchie owns the porch. It’s his territory. Watch out.


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment